Atlanta Sabbat VSS
VSS: The Trickster’s Shrine
Black Dog Atlanta GA-0-10-D
VST: Kaela Woolsey
Time 2nd Saturday, Evening
Location: Roswell Office Suites
VSS Boundaries: The City of Athens and surrounding counties including Elbert County (http://www.athensbusiness.org/user_files/Athens%20and%20Surrounding%20Areas.pdf)
“There we were, the three of us
The priest, the tramp, and I
Years ago, we had left to roam
But reunited on that night”
City Type: Sabbat-only
Styles of Play:
⚫⚫◯◯◯ Physical: 2
⚫⚫⚫⚫◯ Social 4
⚫⚫⚫⚫◯ Mental 4
⚫⚫⚫⚫◯◯◯◯◯◯ Action (combat and challenges) 4
⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫◯◯ Character Development (personal dilemmas and choices) 8
⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫◯ Darkness (corruption, fear and horror) 9
⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫◯◯◯ Drama (ceremony and grand story) 7
⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫◯◯ Intrigue (politics and negotiation) 8
⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫◯◯◯◯ Manners (social etiquette and peer pressure) 6
⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫◯◯ Mystery (enigmas and investigation) 8
⚫⚫⚫◯◯◯◯◯◯◯ PC Death (how often it is present) 3
⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫◯◯◯◯◯ Pacing (how quickly do stories start, develop and come to an end) 5
Description of Venue
Mood: Mystery, Exploration, Intrigue, What Else Goes Bump in the Night?, Uncertainty, Paranoia
Themes: Grey and Grey Morality, I am a Monster, Dark Secrets, The Tower Arcana and Denial Cycle, Rebuilding and Ruin,
“I hope this message finds you well. It is unlikely that I will be able to give my report in person.”
The start of the message itself was standard in recent years. Hunters and other threats felled the once formidable Sword of Caine. Desperation forced them into an uneasy alliance with their old enemies in the Camarilla, but many locals were still licking their wounds from the unsuccessful siege of Atlanta. With the local Cardinal’s templars keeping an eye on the displaced packs, revenge wasn’t an option.
Scouts were sent out to find a new place to rebuild. One, named Soledad, went east towards the coast. The message she sent back was daunting. The young Pander reported of strange incidents around Athens when she stopped to check in on the pack settled there. Her last message warned that while the local Sabbat praised Caine with their lips, the whispers behind doors warned of darker designs.
Heresy had taken root in Georgia, all while the Sabbat was preoccupied with other matters. The Inquisition was consulted, and orders emerged.
The Sword would take Athens back, and ensure that the sect remained pure. The local packs ran the city down, spreading ash and fire until they were sure the cult was maimed and humiliated.
When the next night started, the city of Athens was theirs to rule.
“No one had to speak a word
For we all knew what the others learned
And everything that we ever did
Was but a way to pass the time”
- Pre-1800: There is very little kindred activity in the area.
- 1800-1850: Elias Thurston, Brujah Scholar, helps set up the university. This leads to the incorporation of Athens
- Late 1800s: Civil War. The Union occupies Athens. Coming down with them is Ventrue elder, Sebastian DeVexin. The British aristocrat sees fit to take Athens from Elias, expanding the college further. Some former rebels flee to outlying areas, biding their time.
- 1900-1950 The College and surrounding city continue to develop under DeVexin’s hand. He sets up a petty princedom in Athens. Despite the vampires solidifying their power, all is not well within the domain. Squabbling starts between the local Brujah and Ventrue, with a series of power plays causing an increasingly unstable praxis.
- 1980s - A local Sabbat pack led by Claudette slips in and starts to subjugate the city using influences. Thurston and DeVexin are feuding so much they don’t even notice the encroachment. By the time they do, the Sabbat control the city and the siege starts in earnest. Many members of the Camarilla are killed quietly. DeVexin and his childe Elspeth escape, but DeVexin’s pride moves him to blame the downfall of Athens on Thurston’s incompetence.
- 1990s - The local Sabbat pack continue to build the city of Athens quietly as a stronghold right under Atlanta’s nose while the siege takes place. Part of the Olympics are held in Athens in 1996, and the Sabbat set up the city of profit all while luring the Camarilla into believing the city is quiet and unclaimed. The bombing in Atlanta serves as a distraction.
- 2000s - A similar method is instituted for the Sabbat to take Atlanta. Claudette and her pack lend aid from afar, affording safe haven for any Sabbat fleeing unsuccessful operations. Some choose to stay..
- 2010s - With the siege in Atlanta failed, there is little need for Athens as a base of operations. The pack withdraws to fortify their position in the city, continuing to send basic reports to the South See.
- Late 2016/Mid-2017- The Sabbat is looking to rebuild, and Scouts are sent to find places to build now that the treaty between the Sabbat and Camarilla discourages outright aggression between the sects. A young Pander named Soledad stops in Athens, only to discover some dark secrets hidden beneath the city’s cheerful exterior. She sends a message to the Cardinal, and the Sabbat leadership and Inquisition agree that any heresy in Athens needs to be stamped out of the sect. Packs are sent to Athens to rout the heretical cult that has formed
“And the priest said
I believe I'm a true believer now
I was a sinner, but I came to see the light
The bum and me did not agree, but I must confess of jealousy”
This is a Sabbat Game. Independents et al enter at your own peril. At this time, top approval is needed for any interaction between Camarilla, Anarchs, Independents and the Sabbat.
All local PCs should be assigned to the VSS in the database
PCs assigned to the VSS should be kept up to date in the database. Any downtime or proxy questions needing to be resolved will use the copy in database as the master copy.
Downtimes will be due two weeks after the game. Any received after this point will be processed at the discretion of the VST.
Anything requiring mechanics during downtime must have the VST copied on the email. It’s not that the VST doesn’t trust you. It just helps to keep the VST in the loop.
If you know you’re planning to killbox another PC at the game, please alert the VST at least 48 hours ahead of time so proper staffing can be arranged.
- All proxies must be received at least 24 hours in advance of the game. Proxies must include:
- Complete character sheet, preferably in Excel format
- Full xp log
- Detailing of what the character intends to accomplish and how they intend to do it
- Player’s presiding VST contact information
- Travel Risks
Athens has some strange anomalies, perhaps due to the heresies committed beforehand. However, these anomalies do not yet affect travel in a meaningful way.
Experience Award Guidelines
- 8 xp for Games / 4 xp for Downtimes – up to 10 xp Total Max for the Month
- 1 xp for roleplaying/costuming nominations
“The environment of the chronicle has been affected by background events and will change in various minor ways, subject to staff interpretation."
One Minute Rule: When a player disagrees with a rules call made by the VST, they will be given one minute to make their case. After that minute, the VST will make a decision and the scene will progress. Players are expected to follow the Code of Conduct when making such a case, remaining courteous and calm during their statement. If the issue is not immediate, players are encouraged to instead put their concern in writing and contact the storyteller outside of game.
Baby Dragons Have No Gold: Diablerie of another PC will have no benefit for the first three months after the PC is approved for play.
The Golden Rule Players are more important than game.
Check-in System The Check-In system is used for player calibration. It can effortlessly be used to check in on the mental state of your fellow players and is encouraged for intense scenes.
More info can be found here: https://participationsafety.wordpress.com/2016/09/09/toolkit-the-ok-check-in/