"The Ashanti have a saying, When you follow in the path of your father, you learn to walk like him."
What is known...
Concept: Hello Darkness, My Old Friend...
Name: Étienne Oumar Ezeazu, or simply Ezeazu
Social Class: Elder
Embraced: December 22nd, 1331
Background:The Lasombra are known for their elegance and predatory nature, and Ezeazu is an example of that in the most unique ways. In the centuries since the schism of the Clan, between those that supported the destruction of their founder versus those who stayed loyal, Ezeazu has held faith that the true purpose of the Magisters was to gaze and explore the truths that lie within the darkness which is the Clan's birthright. A mystic and scholar, Ezeazu has spent the years seeking new ways and forgotten paths to better understand the underlying realities of existence. While this focus and interest has been a near obsession for the Elder Kindred, he has also proven to be quite capable at navigating the stormy and unpredictable currents of politics of both Sect and Clan. He has made a name for himself to be a source of strange and unique insights, some find that his quests are a laughable waste of time... while a few more informed others fear the night he finds the answers he seeks.
Timeline: PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CLICK AND COMMENT
- Oumar Otieno Ezeazu (1680s to 1950s)
- Otieno Ezeazu (1480s to 1680s)
Abiding Status: 3
- Confirmed as an Elder of the Camarilla
- Established as an Elder of the Camarilla
- Privileged as an Elder of the Camarilla
Fleeting Status: 2
- Honorable by Francois Villon - Toreador Prince of Paris, France
- Loyal by Theodor Gray - Brujah Prince of Seattle, Washington USA
- Pending by To Be Determined
- Elder of the Magisters
Current Location: Seattle, Washington
- Children of the Abyss
- To Be Determined
Apparent Age: 39
Notable Traits: Ezeazu is most notably known for being one of the few Lasombra that frequent the Ivory Tower, while his lineage grants him attention his actions tend to be very discrete. If anything about him is odd it is that he tends to avoid the trappings of power and thus some consider him even more worthy of suspicion. He is considered to be a bit of an odd one with a deep interest in the history and philosophy of the occult albeit not the actual practices. He tends to have many strange connections to individuals all across the spectrum of vampiric society and although he tends to keep to himself it is said that he's quite charming.
Appearance: Tall, broad of shoulder and dark of skin, Ezeazu is generally thought of as being a relatively attractive man of West African descent. His bearing and poise however make him something of an impressive figure along with his dark striking eyes that communicate stern calm and gentle reflection. He has a tendency to wear comfortable if refined clothing of slightly demured styles that are considered timeless and thus more readily able to blend into the masses of humanity regardless of locale.
Who we are...
Childe of Montano
Childe of Lasombra
- To Be Determined
- To Be Determined
- To Be Determined
Tree - Ebi Ókunkun
(Ebi Ókunkun means "Family in Darkness" in the Yoruban language.)
Childer of Note:
- Javier Raymundo al-Herrera (Deceased)
- To Be Determined
Grandchilder of Note:
Great-Grandchilder of Note:
What is said...
- The one called Ezeazu is simply an alternate identify of the "First" Magister Montano.
- He was once questioned by archons under suspicion of Infernalism due to his dark mystic arts.
- Ezeazu has feuded with many members of his Clan due to his opposition to either Christian or Islamic religious practices.
- One of his childer was destroyed by his own clan for being weak.
- There is a shadow council that guides the Lasombra across Sect lines, and Ezeazu sits on that Council.
- Ezeazu has worked with the Tremere for centuries trying to merge Obtenebration with Thaumaturgy.
(Add your PC's quotes here.)
- "I remember the eager, bright eyed neonate who learned at my table with fondness, but it is the Elder he became that I count among my dearest of friends." - Mila Rurik
- "His place among the Magisters has never been in doubt; Malaii chose well." - Roman
- "I once was asked questions - questions of why, questions of belief. The young shadow did not fully understand, so I explained. He left that evening, perhaps with more questions to be answered by another. I am disappointed to hear that he broke from his blood and became another cog in the workings of the enemy. When we meet next, perhaps he will have answers." - Catus of Gaul
- "Over the years, my sire and I have been on the same side, disagreed and even fought against one another. Through it all, I have only known him by one name... Maestro." - Dante
- "There is a trick to discovering what no soul ever has, though it is not easy. You must find paths where none has ever looked, brave dangers never yet known, and reach fearlessly into darkness uncompassed. It takes a rare person to do all this, but I will say it of Ezeazu; he has a keen eye for the path, he does not shy from danger, and he has certainly never feared the dark." - Augustin de Aragón
- "He and his dark arts remind me of the old women in my country. Not the silly, superstitious ones. The ones who see to the other side of things and walk in other worlds. They are possessed of a certain shrewdness and insight one is wise to heed." - Irma Kardos
- "I rarely regret that I am not well educated, but when Ezeazu speaks to me of philosophy I feel the limits of my words. I sense a larger, stranger world waiting for me to learn the language to describe it." - Mickey Oleary
- "The philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche once wrote that when you look into the darkness of the abyss the abyss looks into you. I suspect this was after an evening spent with my brother Ezeazu..." - Diego Amador
- "Aldous Huxley once said, “There is only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving, and that is your own self.” There are a precious few in this World of Darkness whom have the gift to impart on you the value of one's self and humanity. Yet fewer who make such an impression that it moves you to not only listen, but to act. It is uncanny how Elder Ezeazu can isolate that wayward self and return it to balance. I am an ever appreciative recipient of his tutelage and wisdom. " - Morvenna Mathias
- "Among a Clan of bloodstained nobility, corsairs, rebels, and monsters, Ezeazu is different. He personifies the parable of the oak and the willow. The seemingly strong oak is uprooted by the storm, while the willow may seem to give way, but survives the wind and fury." - Carden d'Vergobret
- "Ever eloquent and composed, the man is unsettling to me because of the way he causes the sensation of not being able to trust one's own instincts. Everyone around me seems to blindly trust this man. Is he so genuinely honorable, or is he just a master of words to sing them to sleep?." - Meg Sloan
- "I am not a poet or scholar. I haven't the words to fully describe what I found with him in the desert. What we found. Ezeazu can teach a person a lot about themselves, they are better for being with him, More remarkable, though, he is willing to learn more of himself while doing it." - Lorena Silva
Associates (Both Friend & Foe)
(Leave your name here if you know him!)
- Augustin de Aragón - There is something comforting to know that one is not alone in this reality. That there are other sentient beings that walk the path that you have chosen with dedication equal to your own. They are the truest of kinsmen, in them you may find a true reflection.
- Diego Amador - For a man whose purpose is to find truth, it is without hesitation that I admit that some truths are... burdensome to know.
- Irma Kardos - There are those that wonder at our friendship; a justifiable curiosity. In her I see and understand why my clan considers the Ventrue to be their truest competitors. One is measured by one's enemies, and as such the Magisters and Patricians are the masters of this world. Thankfully, my interests lie in other directions so I am free to celebrate her greatness rather than define myself by it.
- Josée Martin - How much can a people change yet remain true to their core, if she is any indication they can change much indeed. That is a blessing to me to know.
- Lorena Silva - Sometimes it is proven that to be a teacher and mentor is to be taught and led to a new form of enlightenment in kind. Pain, anguish and sorrow are merely parts of a whole, one must not fear them... nor must one allow oneself to be enveloped by them. We must always test our prisons, the keys we find may surprise us all.
- Maryam Al-Karami - There are no words that can convey the level of respect and admiration that I have for this most unique creature, at least none that one might use in pleasant company.
- Mickey Oleary - There is a beauty in transition. There is pain, there is wonder. Change can destroy, change can create. Change is a fire that can test the strongest of souls and the sharpest of minds. Mr. Oleary is entering his crucible, I am honored to be able to bear witness to this most true of challenges.
- Mila Rurik - I would not grasp the importance of humanitas, nor it's link to the passionate pursuit of knowledge were it not for her. She proved that there is a place for kindness in the night, and that a hunger for sustenance can mean many things and is not the sole province of vitae.
- Morvenna Mathias - She is a truly determined creature. Motivated by an inner drive to be the master of her fate, I wonder if she realizes that the final chains she must sunder are those of the demons within that haunt her.
- Odchigin Abaga Khan - There is something to be said to about being grounded in the material, while it is not a path that I would choose willingly one can not say that there are moments when it's rewards are invaluable. I am most thankful for their sacrifice.
- Odette bint Rumi - I find that the consideration of dichotomies to be an exhilarating exercise in thought and contemplation. I look upon this creature and wonder if who she is in blood, heritage, appearance and action are truly in conflict, or if I simply do not understand that the totality of her paints a very real and very clear picture which I have yet to comprehend.
- Paulin Najdorf - So often one forgets that the keys to our enlightenment are embedded by a plan beyond imagining. It should therefore be no surprise when the most insightful words are uttered from the most surprising of sources.
- Roman - There is no greater gift than knowledge, no more substantial a boon than insight. When it is said and done, I shall remember that my journey began at his proverbial knee.
- Tsinna - A reflection of myself descended from a line with an equally vilified history; it is no wonder that I find his company intriguing. And it is no surprise that our association is colored with a very sincere caution. Nonetheless I find myself enjoying his company, dangerous as it may be.
- Xaro Xhoan Daxos ("Game of Thrones", Television)
- Dr. Robert Ford ("Westworld", Television)
- Mr. Nancy ("American Gods", Television/Literature)
- T'Challa, aka The Black Panther (Various, Film/Animation/Comics)
- Ta-Nehisi Coates (Author)
- Henry Jones, Sr. ("Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade", Film)
- R.M. Renfield ("Dracula" (2013-2014), Television)
- Roland Deschain ("The Gunslinger", Film)
- James Arthur Baldwin (Author)
- Thufir Hawat ("Dune", Fiction/Film/Television)
- Jules-Pierre Mao ("The Expanse", Fiction/Television)
- “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.” - Terry Pratchett (Author)
- “No finite point has meaning without an infinite reference point.” - Jean-Paul Sartre (Philosopher)
- “Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.” - Frank Herbert (Author)
- “If a problem can't be solved within the frame it was conceived, the solution lies in reframing the problem.” ― Brian McGreevy (Author)
- “Not necessity, not desire - no, the love of power is the demon of men. Let them have everything - health, food, a place to live, entertainment - they are and remain unhappy and low-spirited: for the demon waits and waits and will be satisfied.” - Friedrich Nietzsche (Philosopher)
- “Chaos was the law of nature; Order was the dream of man.” — Henry Adams (Author)
- “Everything in this world is magic... except to the magician.” — Dr. Robert Ford (Westworld : Television)
- Power is the great aphrodisiac. — Henry A. Kissinger (Diplomat)
- A genuine leader is not a searcher for consensus but a molder of consensus. — Martin Luther King, Jr. (Activist)
- Power is always dangerous. Power attracts the worst and corrupts the best. — Edward Abbey (Author)
- “Francisco, you're some kind of very high nobility, aren't you?" He answered, "Not yet. The reason my family has lasted for such a long time is that none of us has ever been permitted to think he is born a d'Anconia. We are expected to become one.” — Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged : Fiction)
- Politics is the art of controlling your environment. — Hunter S. Thompson (Journalist)
- “Of course, minute as its impact may be in our physical universe, the fact of quantum entanglement is this: If one logically inexplicable thing is known to exist, then this permits the existence of all logically inexplicable things. A thing may be of deeper impossibility than another, in the sense that you can be more deeply underwater--but whether you are five feet or five fathoms from the surface you are still all wet.” ― Brian McGreevy (Author)
- “He's traveled so far beyond right and wrong he couldn't see them with a telescope on a clear night.” - Mr. Croup (Neverwhere : Television)
- “The order that our mind imagines is like a net, or like a ladder, built to attain something. But afterward you must throw the ladder away, because you discover that, even if it was useful, it was meaningless.” - Umberto Eco (Author)
- “You can't play God without being acquainted with the Devil.” — Dr. Robert Ford (Westworld : Television)
- “Wheels have been set in motion, and they have their own pace, to which we are...condemned. Each move is dictated by the previous one - that is the meaning of order. If we start being arbitrary it'll just be a shambles: at least, let us hope so. Because if we happened, just happened to discover, or even suspect, that our spontaneity was part of their order, we'd know that we were lost. A Chinaman of the T'ang Dynasty - and, by which definition, a philosopher - dreamed he was a butterfly, and from that moment he was never quite sure that he was not a butterfly dreaming it was a Chinese philosopher. Envy him; his two-fold security. ” - Guildenstern (Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead : Play)
Sound of Silence - Simon & Garfunkel
Madam - Salif Keita
Unomathemba - Ladysmith Black Mambazo
Nocturne in E-flat major, Op. 9, No. 2 - Frédéric Chopin
Symphony No. 25 in G Minor, K. 183: I. Allegro con brio - Wolfgang A. Mozart
Long Live the Chief - Jidenna
Africa - Toto
Lomhlaba Kawunoni (The Earth Never Gets Fat) - Ladysmith Black Mambazo
Symphony #40 in G Minor, K 550 Molto Allegro - Wolfgang A. Mozart
Possum Kingdom - The Toadies
Killing an Arab - The Cure
Amassakoul ‘n’ Tenere - Tinariwen
Black Hole Sun - Soundgarden