Ghede appears as a handsome, dark-skinned man of Sudanese descent with strong cheekbones and a powerful physique. When in public he wears upscale business attire with a decidedly Caribbean flair, and in private the robes of the nobility of the Kingdom of Kush.
Originally a slave and gladiator in the late Roman Republic, Ghede was seduced into the worship of Set by the Methuselah Maatkare, also known as Set’s Beloved or Set’s Concubine. The ancient saw promise in the warrior-performer, and arranged for his purchase and then Embrace. Until the start of the Anarch Revolt, he stood by his Sire and pursued her goals in the world, but after the founding of the Sects he reportedly disappeared within vampire circles. Ghede was among the first of his Clan to leave their ancestral homeland and travel into the New World, arriving in what is modern Haiti in 1515 CE while it was under Spanish rule. Over the years he inserted himself into the island, and with the aid of various ghoul proxies he infiltrated the nascent Voodoo cults and turned them to the worship of Set. Through this, Ghede became an entrenched, central figure in the bloody history of the island nation. A portion of his lineage rejected the ideas of Set over time, and became the backbone of the Serpents of the Light in the Sabbat. Ghede himself was determined to root these rebels out, but rumors persist that his stance changed following the Week of Nightmares.
Still in power in Haiti, Ghede does not like the concept of the Independent Alliance, and has refused to ally himself with the young Sect over the concern of losing his autonomy. His stance regarding the Serpents of the Light has clearly changed from his prior radical pogrom against the apostates, and it has been rumored that in recent nights he has begun to reconcile with his Sabbat childer.
Time Frame for Embraces: 50 CE to 1700 CE
- PC Sects/Factions: Any, except Camarilla
- Path: Any, though both Death and the Soul and Ecstasy are popular with his childer
- Traits: Must have at least as many Social Traits as any other Trait Category
- Skill: Must have a linguistic focus in French
- Skills: Must have one of the following at 3+: Occult, Performance, or Subterfuge
- Flaw: Ghede’s lineage is noted for being a branch many of the Serpents of the Light hail from, and as such those members of the Independent Alliance who are his childer must take one of the following Flaws: Infamous Brood or Notoriety. Direct childer in the Sabbat often have the Flaw: Mistrusted considering the recent reports of their Sire’s rapprochement with his lineage.
- Special: Childer of Ghede given the Embrace after 1515 CE must have been Embraced in Haiti. These childer would have universally been promising members of the local community who came into the worship of Set, those colonials that came to the island that would help him cement control or had some quality Ghede would have felt was useful to his control of the island.
- Merit: Childer often have the Clan Merit: Personal Cult.