The Still Watchtower VSS
The Still Watchtower
Phoenix, Tempe, Scottsdale, Chandler, Fountain Hills, Cave Creek, Carefree, New River, Glendale, Peoria, Sun City, Surprise, Litchfield Park, Avondale, Tolleson, Mesa, Gilbert, Casa Grande, Stanfield, Blackwater, Coolidge, Randolph, Florence, Apache Junction, Youngberg, Queen Creek, San Tan Valley, Queen Valley, Buckeye, Liberty, Goodyear, Wickenburg, Maricopa, Indian Reservations, Southern Tonto National Forest, White Tank Mountain Regional Park, McDowell Mountain Regional Park, South Mountain Park, Estrella Mountain Regional Park.
VST Name: Leah Harmon
VST Email: email@example.com
Domain Code: AZ-010-D
City Type: Camarilla City
Other Vampire Political Affiliations Active in the Domain: Independent Alliance, Anarchs, Unaligned
The boundaries for each sect are being determined In Character, and will be a mutable thing. The players are wheeling and dealing among themselves and NPCs to claim territory and suss out the lay of the land. The majority of Player Characters are Camarilla, being a Camarilla venue - it is likely that they will have the upper hand or more weight in the decisions - but plans can change!
Theme: Difficult Choices within the Jihad
Mood: Paranoia, Greed, Suspicion
Setting: BNS MES Vampire: The Masquerade
"We spend our time searching for security and hate it when we get it."
- John Steinbeck
Prior to 1867, the native-born werewolves had a controlling interest in what would be the "Valley of the Sun". While they saw the expansion of the "white man" & the European Garou as an intrusion - it eventually calmed down and there was peace between the tribes as they concentrated less on each other and more on controlling the influx of travelers from the East and the South. In 1867 - the fledgling Town of Phoenix was founded. Even in a werewolf controlled area, there was the occasional leech who managed to survive for a few months before either being ran out or destroyed. In a word - things were peaceful from a Werewolf point of view.
This all changed in 1885s when the railroad stretched from the East to Tucson and then to newly founded City of Phoenix. Like the lice that traveled on the backs of rats in ships, ambitious Kindred left the East to make their fortune (or their Elder's fortune) out west. This was the dawn of the "Blood & Iron War", so named after the metal monstrosities that ran rails and brought Kindred & pollution to the valley. Like curious predators, Kindred began making their moves into the City of Phoenix, only to be repulsed by the established urban wolves. Manipulation, Influence & the influx of other Kindred soon became the key to winning the silent war. While there were a few instance of blood and violence on the streets - the mortal population remained largely ignorant of what was really going on.
A difficult and costly fifteen year campaign came to an end on January 1st, 1900. Whether it was battle-born wisdom or some other motivation, the wolves called for a truce. On the evening of January 1st, the wolves and their kin were given free passage to leave the City of Phoenix to hands of the Kindred and Kine. To this day, no one knows what made them change their mind.
What is known was the fight for praxis began the next day on January 2nd, 1901. Initially, representatives from each clan acted as form of Primogen Council - each vied for controlling interest over the power vacuum created by formerly held werewolf interests. Two years later on January 2nd, 1902 - the first Prince of Phoenix formally took control over the Valley of the Sun.
Since then the city has repelled Sabbat invasions, each time standing stoically against the incursions and rebuffing the Sword of Caine. The first attack was harrowing, the first Prince of Phoenix stepped down after the battle had ended. The Elder Navarro D'Cruz took up the reigns of the Praxis, having led the forces of the Camarilla and some Anarchs against the attack.
Another Sabbat crusade swelled up in two-thousand and two - again the maniacal fanatics were pushed back. While Phoenix survived, the deflection of the Sabbat spelled doom for the Kindred in Flagstaff and Prescott. The enemy had a foothold nearby - the Domain knew another attack was imminent.
Fate would have other plans, however - the mass swell of Hunters that ravaged Camarilla and Sabbat alike took its toll. Prince D'Cruz would be brought low in his sleep, hunters having tracked him back to his Haven.
A new Prince stepped up, shortly after the Chicago Blood Accord was signed - open hostility was a thing of the past...
Phoenix is a Camarilla founded Domain - fought and won from the savage Werewolves. Camarilla politics is in full force, the uneasy truce with the other sects has the Tower members looking inwards to solidify their own power.
1867 – Phoenix Founded.
1885 – Railroad from Tucson established, non-Sabbat Kindred enter the city.
1885 to 1901 – Blood & Iron War between Kindred & Werewolves
1901 – A truce is established between the two supernatural factions, and Werewolves “gracefully” exit to the North and the South.
1901 to 1902 – Following the end of the Blood & Iron War, the is contention for the newly established Praxis.
1902 to 1912 – Kindred “Decade of Prosperity”
1902 – 1st Prince of Phoenix and court established.
1912 – Arizona becomes the 48th state, with Phoenix as its capital.
1950 – Camarilla Petty Praxis established in Flagstaff.
1955 – Sabbat Crusade to take Phoenix, they attack from the south, and are driven off, taking heavy losses from both Anarchs and Werewolves. In the aftermath of this attack the Prince of Phoenix steps down and Navarro D'Cruz becomes Prince having led the main group of combatants, which included a number of Anarchs. These Anarchs were allowed territory in Casa Grande as a result.
1965 – A small gang of Anarchs establishes itself in the Prescott area.
2002 – Second Sabbat Crusade to take Phoenix, they attack from the west, make extensive use of mass embraces, but were again driven off, this time to the north. Prince Navarro D'Cruz leads the charge along with his Anarch allies. The Sabbat managed to hold the line in Prescott, claiming both the Prescott and Flagstaff areas as their own, the Anarchs in Prescott were given the option to join or die, while the members of the petty praxis in Flagstaff were slain out of hand.
2003 to 2009 – The Years of Silence : The Camarilla and Independent Kindred take moderate losses to hunters, the Sabbat takes heavy losses and the Anarchs survive mostly intact. The Camarilla cracks down on Caitiff and there are sporadic direct conflicts between the Sabbat and other Kindred.
2004 – Prince Navarro D'Cruz slain by hunters, a new Prince claims the Praxis of Phoenix.
2008 – Hunter activity begins to return to its previous levels, a process which concludes in 2009.
2012 – Chicago Blood Accords, all direct fighting between the Camarilla and the Sabbat comes to an end.
- Travel outside the Domain is dangerous, as threats abound in the moonlit desert. This includes trips to the outlying Anarch area in Casa Grande.
- While the Camarilla control the Metro Phoenix area, there are other forces moving in the night.
- In order to use downtime actions, influences and other backgrounds within the VSS, a character must be physically present within the VSS, either via a live game or a proxy. This does not include Regional level actions approved through the RST’s Office, or National level actions approved through the NST's Office.
- There is no such thing as a "soft" proxy, all proxies to this VSS will be hard proxies.
- Proxies to a live game must be received no later than 48 hours prior to the date of the live game.
- Proxies that will be contained to email scenes can start as soon as both the incoming and outgoing VSTs have given their approval to the proxy.
- Email only proxies must CC the firstname.lastname@example.org email address on all threads related to the proxy.
- Proxies must include at, a minimum, the following information (though additional information is encouraged):
- Full Character Sheet, including an XP Log
- Travel plans for how the character will be entering and leaving the VSS
- The purpose of the proxy and desired outcome
- Visitors to live games from other VSSs are strongly encouraged to submit their full character sheets, including an XP log 48 hours in advance of the scheduled game.
- Downtime Rules:
- Downtime actions and Backgrounds (Allies, Contacts, Influences, Resources) refresh at the start of each game.
- Downtimes are due by the Saturday prior to the next scheduled game and affect the time between games.
- All downtime actions are processed simultaneously, except as noted below, and the results will be released prior to the following game.
- The Allies, Contacts and Influences Backgrounds can be used during downtime or during games to a total number of uses equal to the number of dots in the background. The additional Influence actions gained from the Master of Puppets merit can only be used during downtime.
- Retainers each receive a single downtime action.
- The monthly "liquid cash" from Resources cannot be banked, it simply represents how much cash a character has available to spend each month.
- The order of downtime and influence actions are as follows:
- 1. Defensive actions are always processed first. Attack actions trigger a defense action if one has been submitted.
- 2. Influence actions occur before downtime actions, unless the downtime actions are defensive actions, such as patrolling.
- 3. If there is an issue where the timing of an attack influence action matters, the initiative order is determined by Social + Influence. The character with the highest total has their actions adjudicated first.
- Elders and their Agents
- At the start of Chronicle we are limiting the number of Elders to 25% of the expected population. This number will be revisited as the chronicle moves forward.
- Elder Compendium: Ensure your character meets the requirements set within the document, if you are an Elder. This is not negotiable. Failure to meet the requirements will result in action as mentioned in the document. If you're looking for the document, it can be found here - https://games.mindseyesociety.org/vampire-the-masquerade/
- Elder Agents: As per discussed, our Elders will require "agents". These are characters who are of a lower social class/generation than your character. You must have a number of agents equal to your Generation rating - 2 (Minimum of 1). 6th Generations need three, 7th need two, 8th (and any Machiavellian Prodigy elders) need one. All must be local characters. The only exception is the 6th Generations may have one located elsewhere.
- This VSS uses the Graduated XP Cap ref: BNS: VtM pg. 349, earned xp for live games will be equal to the player’s current monthly xp cap minus 2 to a minimum of 2, xp for submitting downtimes will be 2 xp, xp for monitored (i.e., cc the DMH Camarilla VST account) downtime scenes will be 2 xp each.